Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Drama?


Drama. I mean skits and plays, musicals etc. Never been a real fan of these, especially when they are trying to communicate Biblical truth. I usually cringe at the portrayals.

However, the play (musical) I just saw from Greenleaf studios and the only other production of theirs I viewed a while back blew me away. Been thinking of this latest effort (Ekklesia) ever since.

My understanding was that it was all original. Actors ranging from about 4 to 20 years old just thrilled me. The music and message were moving and the acting was not cheesy but talented and so was the singing.

There are always changes or additions to the Word in these kinds of productions. Never sits good with me. But this was terrific. I am opening up to the idea that communication of Gospel truths can be of various sorts which I once yawned or cringed at.

Not everything we do is Biblically appropriate for a Sunday morning worship service but it doesn't mean it is never appropriate. I was stirred by their efforts and by the truths they were proclaiming in the moving way in which they did so.

FYI, my favorite was Sabra. I'm getting a DVD.

3 comments:

  1. I hate it that I missed it! We had tickets for Saturday night and some of them told me that that was their best performance. We just over-committed and couldn't make it, but have always been impressed with their presentations in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest, Ella, and I went on Saturday night. We had some friends that were performing in it. We both really liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Soemer,
    I saw that you posted this on the Greenleaf Music and Arts Academy facebook page and had to take a look. I played the part of Sabra, and I am SO glad you enjoyed it. =] This was the most impact-ful production I've ever been in (I mean, it made a huge impact on ME), and I feel God's hand was all over it. Thank you for your good review and support of our show and actors!

    -Marisa

    P.S. Have you already ordered a DVD? We have a list at the studio--we can definitely put you down for one.

    ReplyDelete